Monday, November 13, 2023

Another Crusade A Cute Wooden Puppet Adventure

 *Note: I received the game for free on Nintendo Switch for my honest review of the game. Thank you to Limited Run Games for the game key! 


Another Crusade looks very cute right from the start. Described as a 3D wooden puppet action RPG, the game is very charming with the artwork. The knight is coming home from a finished adventure when a meteor shower happens and suddenly, he finds himself on another adventure to save everyone. 


The knight heading home before an adventure. 


The areas looking like a cute puppet stage are adorable. There is a tutorial with the battle mechanics as the game is turn based. You have to time the attacks just so and this is where I feel the game struggles a bit. There's not really an indicator marker of when you're supposed to hit an enemy so I kept missing a lot which means I would get hit a lot and more often than not get wiped out and I'd have to try again. It's not great when the difficulty spike in a game is right at the start and doesn't get better. The timing window is so precise that constantly missing was very much an issue for me. 


Battling an ogre. 


I did like the road tips when you were in an area map. It would tell you things like healing your HP and MP in a healing spring. The various enemies are interesting, but sometimes when I was trying to get my bearings on a map it would get frustrating trying to run away from them so I didn't end up in a fight. The knight eventually meets his other friends and the witty one liner jokes and puns are smartly done. I found myself laughing at some of the antics of the adventurers and some of the villains too. 


Learning adventurer tips. 



While Another Crusade is cute, the combat could be very frustrating. There's also the lack of a map navigation. I would get lost often which would end up with me getting stuck fighting enemies that were too high a level and not being able to run away so I'd end up dying. You start over at a checkpoint and sometimes that was not always ideal. There's no fast travel in the game either which frankly would have been helpful. 

I really wanted to love Another Crusade, but unfortunately there were a lot of issues with the gameplay mechanics and the imbalance with difficulty spikes made it rather frustrating. There are also crashing issues with the game in odd places. If those issues are addressed Another Crusade could be a good game because the potential is there. 


Wandering the world map. 



*Another Crusade is available on the following platforms: Steam, Nintendo Switch, Playstation 5, Xbox Series X/S 

*Join our community on Twitch as we play games and discussing mental health. 








No comments:

Post a Comment